Thanks to JSB Morse at The Libertarian Catholic website for noting last week’s EWTN broadcast program of “Father Spitzer’s Universe.” Father Robert Spitzer S.J. is a brilliant Catholic author on the spiritual life, theology and the scientific evidence for a transcendent God. He is also President of the Magis Center of Reason and Faith.
The video below picks up halfway through the program as Fr. Spitzer explains the work of Spanish Scholastic writer Francisco Suárez who set out the modern basis for natural rights theory, later influencing Hugo Grotius, John Locke and Thomas Jefferson.
Father Spitzer goes far in laying the groundwork upon which Catholic libertarianism is based:
- The right to self-governance
- An unjust law is no law at all
- Initiating harm to another without cause (aggression) is unjust
- Limits of democratic rule
- Right to private property.
Begin watching at the 30 minutes mark: